ClevelandPeople.Com
St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral is the oldest Romanian Orthodox parish in the U.S. 2010 is the our 106th anniversary of the Cathedral.

It was founded August 15, 1904 by Romanian immigrants and moved to this location in 1955.

St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

It is under the omophorion (jurisdiction) of Archbishop Nathaniel Popp, of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America/ Orthodox Church in America.

The Cathedral was visited by King Michael, the President of Romania, great Hierarchs and contemporary political personalities.

St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

The Church Choir received permission from world-renowned composer George Enescu to bear his name.

St Mary is the only Romanian-American Orthodox church ever featured on a Romanian stamp.

St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral steeple

2010 Romanian Fest at St. Mary's

Father Remus Grama, Pastor of St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral in Cleveland Ohio

Father Remus Grama

Father Remus Grama, Pastor of St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral in Cleveland Ohio




Short video tour inside the Church

Inside St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral


St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral


St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral Romanian Fairy Tale Mosaic

Romanian Fairy Tale Mosaic


The Cathedral is also home to the statue of General George Pomutz.

Romanian General George Pomutz statue

George Pomutz was an ethnic Romanian, and Hungarian officer during the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. He was a general in the Union Army in the American Civil War, and a diplomat.

According to Wikipedia, George Pomutz was born in the Habsburg Empire in Gyula, Békés county, a town with a strong ethnic Romanian population at that time. After the 1848 revolution, in which Pomutz took an active part, he migrated to America.

At the beginning of the Civil War, Pomutz enrolled in the Union Army as a first lieutenant in the 15th Iowa Infantry. He was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh. In May 1864 Pomutz was appointed Provost Marshal of the 17th Iowa Infantry.

In August 1864, he returned to the 15th Iowa Infantry, which he commanded in the Battle of Atlanta. He was appointed a brevet brigadier general on March 13, 1865.

During the Washington Parade, marking the end of the Civil War, the handsome General George Pomutz was awarded the special honor to open the Parade on a nice white horse.

The Church also hosts the Freedom and Democracy statue by Oscar Han.

Liberty and Democracy statue by Romanian Sculptor Oscar Han


Column from Romania at St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

The Church also has a column from Romania on its grounds

Column from Romania at St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

Model of St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral

Model of St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral


Back to Top

Back to Cleveland Romanians










If you want to reach the Romanian community in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio, please contact us.






Visit our on-line Romanian Store
Books, Music, DVDs, Clothes, Flags and More




Contact us for high-resolution photos or video from the Romanian community
















































 Copyright © 2009-2010
      Magnum Computers Inc.