St. Vladimirs Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Parma, (Cleveland) Ohio
St. Vladimirs Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral is located at 5913 State Road in Parma, Ohio a suburb of Cleveland.
It is part of the Ukrainian Village.
Saint Vladimirs website says Saint Vladimirs's parish was founded in the year 1924, predominantly by pioneers-immigrants from Western Ukraine.
By the Year 1926, property was purchased in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland. Construction began and the first church was dedicated in 1933. Many of the parish organizations were established during the early years of the parish.
After World War II, the parish was strengthened by more immigration from all regions of Ukraine. The growth of the parish and shift of population to the suburbs necessitated the purchase of property in Parma in 1954. By 1959 the old Parma City Hall was purchased, moved and renovated for a chapel, which was simultaneously, with the old church, served by the clergy. In 1967, the present church on State Road in Parma was consecrated for use.
Soon after, a beautiful 3-level baroque iconostas (icon screen) was installed and dedicated.
For the celebration of the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine, in 1988, an 800 square foot mosaic, depicting the Baptism of Rus-Ukraine, was placed over the Main doors of the Cathedral.
Father John Nakonachny, pastor of St Vladimirs, gives a brief history of St Vladimir and the Church in Ukraine and then tells about the beautiful Church and mosaic
In 1993, a monument commemorating the over 7 million victims of the Artificial Famine in Ukraine in 1933 was dedicated on the parish grounds.