The Hungarian Cultural Garden in Cleveland Ohio celebrated its 75th anniversary on Saturday July 20, 2013. The Hungarian Cultural Garden was formally dedicated on July 10, 1938. A colorful parade of some 5,000 members of Hungarian organizations, many of them in native costumes, marched along lower East Blvd. to the speaker stands at the lower end of the Hungarian garden. There, a crowd of 20,000 people awaited them.
75 years later, a crowd of Hungarian Americans and others attended the 75th anniversary celebration event in the lower half (MLK Blvd.) of the Hungarian Garden. They also witnessed the dedication of the new Legacy Wall.
The celebration began as John Megyimori introduced Cleveland Hungarian Scouts who marched through the Hungarian Cultural Garden with flags of the United States and of Hungary.
Then Ted Horvath led the Star Spangled Banner and the Kis Magyar Korus led the singing of the National Anthem of the Magyarorszag.
Kis Magyar Korus
John Megyimori then introduced Carolyn Balogh as the "mover and shaker" behind the Hungarian Cultural Garden. Carolyn said that the Cleveland Hungarian Cultural Garden was dedicated in 1938 by their ancestors to showcase the arts and culture of their homeland of Hungary.
Carolyn Balogh and John Megyimori
Several of the people in attendance were at the 1938 dedication including Ernie Mihaly and his sister Marge, Jennie Brown, Ted Horvath, Frank Dobos and others.
Carolyn Balogh, President of the Hungarian Cultural Garden, told about the new Legacy Wall in the Hungarian Cultural Garden. It pays tribute to Hungarians and Hungarian-Americans who enriched our lives through Music, Art, Science, Math and Technology.
Carolyn Balogh then read a proclamation from Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson at the 75th anniversary celebration of the Hungarian Cultural Garden in Cleveland. Mayor Jackson told of the contributions of the 113,000 Hungarian-Americans in the city and how there are more Hungarian in Cleveland than anywhere in the world outside of Hungary.
Carolyn Balogh then introduced Sheila Murphy Crawford, president of the Cleveland Cultural Garden Federation.
Sheila Murphy Crawford
Carolyn Balogh, President of the Hungarian Cultural Garden, and Ernie Mihaly, longtime steward and benefactor of the Hungarian Garden, cut the ribbon at the new Legacy Wall of the Hungarian Garden at the 75th anniversary celebration of the Hungarian Cultural Garden in Cleveland.
Ernie Mihaly and Carolyn Balogh cut the ribbon
See more photos from the ribbon cutting.
Laszlo Bojtos, the honorary Consul of Hungary spoke in Hungarian.
Consul Laszlo Bojtos
Then the program entertainment began.
Hungarian Cultural Garden 75th Anniversary - Page 1 (This Page)
Hungarian Cultural Garden 75th Anniversary - Page 2
History of the Garden and Girl Scouts songs
Hungarian Cultural Garden 75th Anniversary - Page 3
Hungarian Folk Songs, St. Elizabeth Dancers and Kis Magyar Korus
Hungarian Cultural Garden 75th Anniversary - Page 4
Hungarian Scouts Folk Ensemble and Closing
Hungarian Cultural Garden 75th Anniversary - Page 5
Faces in the Crowd
Back to Top
Back to Cleveland Hungarians