St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church is a historic Roman Catholic church in the Buckeye Road neighborhood on the east side of Cleveland. It is the earliest ethnic parish established for Hungarians in the United States. Its present building was constructed in the early twentieth century, and it has been named a historic site.
America's first Hungarian Roman Catholic churches in order of cornerstone-laying date:
- St. Elizabeth's Church - Cleveland, OH. June 4, 1893
- St Mary's Church - Throop, PA. July 21, 1895
- St. Stephen's Church - East Toledo, OH. Dedication August 20, 1899
- St. Stephen's Church - Bridgeport, CT. November 30, 1899
- St. Stephen's Church - McKeesport, PA. September 8, 1900
See the August 20, 2020 dedication of an historic cornerstone
Welcome to St Elizabeth Church
National Resgister of Historic Places
St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church in Cleveland
Stay informed about the local Hungarian community by signing up for the free Cleveland Hungarian eNews mailings. You can select other groups as well. It's easy and free.
Fill out the form for the free Hungarian eNews.
Top of Page
Back to Cleveland Catholic Churches
Back to Hungarians in Cleveland