Cleveland Hungarian Cultural Garden August 2, 2009
Now over 70 years old, the Hungarian Cultural Garden has been re-dedicated and volunteers, led by Hungarian Garden president Carolyn Balogh, have been working hard to improve it. On August 2, 2009 members of the Hungarian and other communities gathered at the Garden to hear music and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
The event began with the singing of the US National Anthem and the Hungarian Himnusz by Ted Horvath.
Carolyn Balogh then told about the renovation and rededication of the Cleveland Hungarian Cultural Garden and introduced some of the Cleveland Hungarians who visited the Garden back in the 1930's when it was created.
It takes many volunteers and donors to make such a large garden so magnificent. Ten new dogwood trees were donated and planted by members of the Hungarian community and the organizations they represent.
The Hungarian Garden also received a news sign for the lower part of the Garden on MLK Bouleverad.
Ernie Mihaly told the story of the new sign.
Carolyn also introduced young Istvan Latslo from Budapest who was competing in the International Piano Competition in Cleveland.